View of the square from Willard Park, 1939. This lovely park once boasted elegant street lamps and a gazebo with a drinking fountain. When the town decided to remove the latter, Hazen Carpenter saved the roof and it now graces a replica of the gazebo on the corner of Bridge and Pleasant Streets in Springvale. The businesses in the four buildings were F. W. Woolworth, W. T. Grant, Puritan Clothing, Endicott-Johnson Shoes, Ralph Smith Hardware, and Hooz's Apparel. The building beyond, now Shaw's Hardware, then housed S. J. Nowell Hardware and George W. Clark Dry Goods. Note the statue of Thomas Goodall standing in the middle of Sanford Square.