Thomas Goodall paid for the construction of this building in 1878 with the intention that it would be used as a library. However the people of Sanford showed little interest for a library at that time, so it was used by various fraternal orders as a meeting place. It finally did become the town library on December 31, 1898 and served that purpose until 1937.
The building was on School Street where the Back Street Grill parking lot is today. The white house with the decorative gable trim (right background) still stands at 17 Bodwell Street.
Rate this file (Current rating : 2.5 / 5 with 2 votes)